How to manage varicose vein bleeding
Varicose veins are enlarged veins that have become visible and pronounced underneath the surface of the skin. They can exhibit no symptoms in some patients and extensive symptoms in others. If you’ve got varicose veins that have recently opened and started bleeding, learn more about what you can do to manage the bleeding.
How can bleeding from varicose veins be effectively managed?
- Apply pressure — If you’ve sustained an injury that has caused your varicose vein to start bleeding, one thing you can do to immediately stem the bleeding is to apply pressure. Putting pressure on the area of injury can help control the bleeding and will likely stop the bleeding after some time. You can apply pressure with your hand at first; if you need pressure after a longer period of time, you can wrap a bandage or dressing around the limb.
- Elevate the affected limb — Another step you can take to manage a bleeding varicose vein is to immediately elevate the affected limb. Whether your bleeding vein is on a leg or an arm, be sure to lift your limb above your heart and keep it there for several minutes. Elevating the limb can help slow the bleeding.
- Wear support or compression stockings — You can also wear support stockings or compression stockings for a few different reasons. The first is to act as a physical barrier to protect against minor scrapes and cuts. The second is to promote vein circulation.
- Visit with a vein and vascular specialist — Scheduling a visit with a vein and vascular specialist is a great way to find an effective treatment for any pesky varicose veins that may keep bleeding or to learn ways to prevent bleeding in the future. Whatever your need may be, a vein and vascular specialist can help you manage your varicose vein symptoms.
Contact United Vein & Vascular Centers for your varicose vein bleeding
You don’t have to continue worrying about symptoms of vein conditions that are making your life more difficult. Our vein specialists at United Vein & Vascular Centers are here to help you. Each of our team members understands the uncertainty and discomfort that vein problems can lead to, and that’s why they’re committed to helping you better understand your condition, your symptoms and the options you can use to address them.
Our specialists can also help you find the most effective treatment option for your vein condition and include it in a comprehensive treatment plan that’s designed to:
- Reduce your symptoms.
- Improve your ability to walk and perform other normal daily tasks.
- Increase your overall quality of life.
Contact us today to learn more about your vein condition and the ways it can be treated or to set up an initial appointment.