LOAN LAM, D.P.M.
Medical Director of Wound Services
Dr. Loan Lam is a highly trained, board-certified wound care and hyperbaric medicine physician as well as a podiatric surgeon. Dr. Lam is one of the few physicians certified in lymphedema management. Dr. Lam believes successful wound healing requires being a “detective” to put together all the pieces of a patient’s complex medical issues and address the underlying causes of impaired healing. She is trained in multiple advanced surgical and non-surgical techniques for wound healing including grafts, local flap closures, negative pressure therapy, hyperbaric oxygen treatments, and various compression and manual therapies. “My interest in lymphedema comes from seeing a significant number of wound and vascular patients with undiagnosed or undertreated chronic lymphedema which have adversely affected their quality of life,” says Dr. Lam.
With multiple scholarships and honors, she attended Rice University for her undergraduate studies, followed by medical studies at Barry University. She completed her internship and residency training at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Before joining United Vein & Vascular Centers, Dr. Lam started the wound and hyperbaric program as the medical director of Hyper Healing Wound Clinics in Tampa. She has also worked for Physicians Regional Hospitals, specializing in inpatient wound care, hyperbaric medicine, and reconstructive wound surgery as well as outpatient wound and burn care at the Center for Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine in Naples, FL.
Dr. Lam has an extensive history of clinical research with multiple publications, poster presentations, and clinical trials dating back to her residency training at Yale. Her research work has included “superbug” infection clinical drug trials with Pfizer and Wyeth to clinical research in clonal amplification (PCR) and parallel sequencing (NGS) of bacteria in chronic wounds. She is a frequent lecturer and clinical trainer on various wound management techniques.
- Fellow, Academy of Physicians in Wound Healing
- Fellow, American Professional Wound Care Association
- Certified Wound Specialist Physician, American Board of Wound Management
- Certified Hyperbaric Wound Specialist, American Board of Wound Healing
- Certified Lymphedema & Wound Therapist, International Lymphedema & Wound Care Training Institute
- Rice University, Bachelor of Arts, Houston, Texas
- Barry University, School of Graduate Medical Sciences, Miami, FL
- Yale University School of Medicine, Yale- New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
- Academy of Physicians in Wound Healing
- American Professional Wound Care Association
- American Board of Wound Management
- International Lymphedema & Wound Care Training Institute
- Internship, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
- Surgical Residency, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale- New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
- Surgical Residency, Chief Resident, Foot and Ankle Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale- New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT