Understanding the Science Behind Vein Coloration
Many people may think that veins are blue under the skin, but they’re actually not! They don’t have much color at all, interestingly enough. And no, the blood running through your veins isn’t blue either. So why do veins seem blue?
The answer is pretty simple. The reason why your veins seem blue is that blue light is reflected to our eyes through the layers of skin and fat in our body. They’re not actually blue; they just seem that way because of light reflections.
Veins seem especially blue the closer to the skin they are. In patients who have venous diseases where the veins are closer to the skin than normal, blue veins might be more apparent. To learn more about why blue veins might show up in the legs, keep reading below.
Why might I have blue veins that show up in my legs?
- Varicose veins — Blue veins might be very apparent in those with varicose veins. Varicose veins are damaged veins that have become enlarged and are very close to the surface of the skin. They don’t circulate blood as they should, and can become uncomfortable. If you notice a large network of blue veins on the backs of your legs, you should consider speaking with a specialist who can help you treat varicose veins.
- Chronic venous insufficiency — Chronic venous insufficiency is a general term for a condition where the veins in the body become damaged and cannot push blood through the lower extremities like they should be able to.
- Deep vein thrombosis — Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a potentially life-threatening condition where a blood clot has become lodged within one of the veins and could dislodge and consequently travel to the lungs. If you see a significant amount of blue veins under your skin in your legs, and you’re experiencing pain, you may want to see if a specialist can investigate your condition further. If you do have DVT, it’s important to seek medical attention right away.
Contact United Vein & Vascular Centers for your vein condition
You don’t have to continue worrying about symptoms of vein conditions that are making your life more difficult. Our vein specialists at United Vein & Vascular Centers are here to help you. Each of our team members understands the uncertainty and discomfort that vein problems can lead to, and that’s why they’re committed to helping you better understand your condition, your symptoms, and the options you can use to address them.
Our specialists can also help you find the most effective treatment option for your vein condition and include it in a comprehensive treatment plan that’s designed to:
- Reduce your symptoms.
- Improve your ability to walk and perform other normal daily tasks.
- Increase your overall quality of life.
Contact us today to learn more about your vein condition and the ways it can be treated or to set up an initial appointment.