How Varicose Veins Can Negatively Impact Your Day-to-Day Activities
Varicose veins are bulging, noticeable veins that have risen to the surface of the skin. These veins are usually purple or blue and can look like complex, webbed systems under the skin. Normally, your veins shouldn’t be very apparent on your skin except in some places like your wrists. Varicose veins are damaged veins that have become ineffective or inefficient at circulating blood through the body. Sometimes they exhibit no noticeable symptoms other than looking a little unusual, and in this case, it’s just a cosmetic issue. For others, however, this condition can be a source of physical discomfort and even pain.
What are some symptoms of varicose veins?
- Heaviness in the legs.
- Swelling in the legs and feet.
- Itchy skin around the area.
- Burning or aching in the legs.
How can varicose veins affect your day-to-day life?
- They can make it hard to stand or sit for long periods — If you work at a place that requires extensive periods of standing or sitting, varicose veins could potentially make this very uncomfortable to deal with.
- They can cause painful ulcers on the skin — If left untreated, varicose veins can progress to the point where they cause ulcers to form on the skin on the legs and ankles. These can be extremely painful and can become infected if they aren’t given proper attention. Ulcers can make it painful to walk and wear certain clothing.
- They can cause serious swelling — The lack of proper circulation due to damaged blood vessels means that the risk of swelling in the legs and ankles is significantly higher. Swelling can make normal activities like walking, standing, and working pretty uncomfortable without proper treatment from a specialist.
Contact United Vein & Vascular Centers for your varicose vein treatments
You don’t have to continue worrying about symptoms of vein conditions that are making your life more difficult. Our vein specialists at United Vein & Vascular Centers are here to help you. Each of our team members understands the uncertainty and discomfort that vein problems can lead to, and that’s why they’re committed to helping you better understand your condition, your symptoms and the options you can use to address them.
Our specialists can also help you find the most effective treatment option for your vein condition and include it in a comprehensive treatment plan that’s designed to:
- Reduce your symptoms.
- Improve your ability to walk and perform other normal daily tasks.
- Increase your overall quality of life.
Contact us today to learn more about your vein condition and the ways it can be treated or to set up an initial appointment.