How Should I Choose a Vein Specialist?

Text Size:  

Once you decide you’re ready to get treatment for varicose or spider veins, or for other vein disease issues, it’s decision time. You probably have lots of questions about choosing a doctor and we understand it can be confusing. So here’s a bit about how to choose a vein specialist, courtesy of Dr. Gamal Wazni and United Vein Centers in Tampa, Florida.

What’s a Vein Specialist?

First, all vein specialists are physicians. They may be doctors of medicine (MD) or doctors of osteopathy (DO). In either case, the physician has attended medical school and residency. In addition, most complete specialty education that may include surgical training, interventional vein treatments or both. All physicians in the US must have a license to practice. Most are also board-certified. However, there’s really no such thing as a vein specialist; only doctors who care for people with vein disease and vein problems. Instead, there are doctors who practice various medical specialties and treat vein disease as part of their practice.

Vein Treatment and Medical Specialties

Part of the reason the term vein specialist can be confusing is that doctors who offer these services could be cardiologists, radiologists, vascular surgeons or even general practitioners who have completed additional training. Cardiologists are initially trained in internal medicine before completing a fellowship in cardiology; their focus is the heart and vascular system (blood vessels). Radiologists are trained in the use of imaging techniques like X-rays to diagnose and treat disease. Interventional radiologists are most likely to be vein specialists, as they receive additional training in treating vein problems with a combination of imaging techniques and medications or other therapy. Vascular surgeons may perform any of the treatments the other specialists do, but they also perform surgery.

How to Make a Choice

No matter who you choose to treat your vein disease, first cover the basics: training, licensure and board certification. The next question is whether your problem requires surgical or medical care. Your family doctor can help with this one if you aren’t sure. For example, very large, deep varicose veins may require surgery. Next, you want to ask about the doctor’s experience. Acquiring technical skill in vein treatments takes lots of practice. The final issue is how well you and the doctor “fit.” For example, do you feel safe with this doctor? How’s your communication? Are all your questions answered? A personality mismatch will affect your physician-patient relationship and may affect your care, especially if you have communication problems.

We believe you’ll find what you’re looking for at United Vein Centers. Our doctors offer a variety of minimally invasive treatments for spider veins, varicose veins and other vein problems. Dr. Wazni has extensive experience and was one of the first physicians to use lasers in treating varicose veins. His training and many years of experience make him uniquely qualified to deal with any of your vein problems. Please contact us today for answers to your questions or to schedule an appointment.