A guide to living with lymphedema in your legs
Lymphedema is a condition where swelling occurs in the tissue due a blockage of the lymph nodes. It’s commonly associated with swelling in the legs. The fluid that usually exits the lymph nodes in the legs becomes stuck in the duct, causing a backup. It mostly affects the legs but can also affect the abdomen, genitals and the neck.
If left untreated or in severe cases, the blocked lymph nodes can cause a patient to go into sepsis or risk skin infections. Living with this condition can be scary, but you can manage your symptoms with the right attention and care.
If you have lymphedema in your legs, this article is for you. We’ve come up with a short guide on how you can live your normal life while managing lymphedema symptoms in your legs.
A guide to living with lymphedema in legs
Living with lymphedema in the legs can be frustrating and difficult, but there are ways that you can manage your symptoms through treatment. Keep reading below for some essential tips:
- Your quality of life can improve — There isn’t an official cure for lymphedema, but there are ways you can treat your symptoms for better quality of life. Most treatments for lymphedema focus on reducing swelling in your legs and trying to avoid complications that may crop up for those with this condition. Vein and vascular specialists can be a good resource for you to help manage your symptoms and improve your standard of life.
- Good care can help protect you from complications and progression — There is a chance that lymphedema in the legs could progress to a life-threatening condition if left untreated by medical professionals. However, seeking out care from experienced, board-certified health care professionals can help ensure that your lymphedema doesn’t get any worse than it has to. The right kind of quality care can protect you.
- You’ll find help from specialists — Primary care doctors may have general knowledge of your condition, but they should also refer you to a vein and vascular specialist. Specialists can provide you with more intensive care and attention for the lymphedema in your legs. The treatments that a specialist can provide you with are also more intensive than primary care doctors’ treatments. Those with lymphedema can receive skin care and, in necessary cases, procedures to remove affected tissue and promote better lymphatic drainage throughout the body. If you’re receiving most of your lymphedema treatment from your primary care physician, it may be a good idea for you to look for a specialist to help you.
Contact United Vein & Vascular Centers for living with lymphedema in your legs
You don’t have to continue worrying about symptoms of vein conditions that are making your life more difficult. Our vein specialists at United Vein & Vascular Centers are here to help you. Each of our team members understands the uncertainty and discomfort that vein problems can lead to, and that’s why they’re committed to helping you better understand your condition, your symptoms and the options you can use to address them.
Our specialists can also help you find the most effective treatment option for your vein condition and include it in a comprehensive treatment plan that’s designed to:
- Reduce your symptoms.
- Improve your ability to walk and perform other normal daily tasks.
- Increase your overall quality of life.
Contact us today to learn more about your vein condition and the ways it can be treated or to set up an initial appointment.